It has been quite a challenge to get the fit right, but now I have I feel a great sense of achievement. For my toile I ran out of organza to cover the whole of the skirt, the 10 metres that are there are not enough which is something I will need to think about when I am my final fabric and for my next toiles. I decided to do as much as I could with the fabric I have and I am very pleased with how the drapes have come out, they really add something to the dress.
After buying some more fabric in greater lengths I began draping on the full scale mannequin trying to create the same unique shapes I was able to create on the half scale mannequin, i was unsure whilst I was pinning if it was doing what I wanted it to do, but when I stepped back and looked at it from all angles I really liked it, it had such personality and shape, it sculptural yet fluid, which is exactly what I wanted.
I began working on some hand stitch samples of fabric manipulation I am really loving how my work is coming out at the moment, I am keen to continue my exploration of draping on the mannequin, this is quite new to me as I often jump straight to pattern cutting, but I think the interesting shapes I am creating at the moment is really working and taking my work in a very exciting direction.
had an individual tutorial with Ike this week, that has continued to help the development of my ideas. I have found an interest in smoking this week as it incorporates my love of hand sewing and creating manipulations and sculpture within the fabric. It was suggested that I take a look at Elizabeth Elliot who uses a similar technique to pull the fabric in different ways to create new shapes.
This week’s group tutorial was looking at our project proposals, this was really helpful as it has helped me to refine my ideas and make more sense of my inspiration, using the story of my first solo travel experience to Venice as a key theme for this unit.
I had been struggling to find away that all my research linked together in a clear way struggling then to find where to start with the design development. But after this tutorial everything is beginning to get a lot clearer and I feel like I have a better understanding as to where this project is headed.