Todays briefing has given me a lot to think about in the way of which direction I want to take the project. I am really interested in sustainability so I think this is probably going to be my starting point and I will go on from there.
Sourcing new materials:
Buttons- I had originally thought to use original Royal Navy buttons however now I have all of my final fabrics, I feel like they don’t fit at all and make the jacket look cheap, which is not what I want, I went to Anglian fabrics today and came across some new buttons, I much prefer these as I feel they fit the colour a lot better. I spoke to sue again this afternoon and she suggested that I buff the buttons with sand paper to make them more matte, as she thinks that will make them look more expensive.
Lining- over the weekend I sorted out my rust dyeing, unfortunately I have had it dyeing for the past 4 weeks and they just haven’t done enough so I have spent this afternoon sourcing new materials, I have a lot of samples on their way
Piping- After my session with sue this morning I am going to experiment with some piping which will help to make the production of
Neck chain- I also managed to get a chain, this is going to make it look a lot more professional and expensive.
Today I finished all of my final patterns for my jacket ready to cut out on Tuesday. I am really pleased with the final out come of my toile and I look forward to seeing it in the final fabrics.
Today I had my mid unit review, this really helped me today as it has shown me that I am on track to pass and that has helped my confidence a lot.
We went through my line-up today and I got a lot of feedback of what I had done and what I needed to do which was really helpful and I know how to improve it now, I had been struggling to do this, not because it was the best thing I had ever seen but because I am not the most technically skilled, but I was told some ways to sort things and I feel like I will be able to do it, I know I will because I won’t let myself give up.
Throughout my tutorials over the past few weeks it has been suggested that I begin to look at pockets and their placement throughout my garments, today I began to explore the different types of pockets as well as thinking about where to put them. I am considering putting a welt on the inside of the garment, I will continue to sample pockets tomorrow until I find the perfect ones. At the moment I still really want to have the pocket I sampled a few weeks ago that had a patch pocket with a flap and a welt pocket as well.
I have been thinking a lot about how I want the garment to be finished off on the inside and out, I will be having a full lining and I am thinking about having piping on the inside between the lining and the facing seams. I feel that a rust coloured piping will be a good way to join the rust dyed lining to the grey Melton wool, giving an interesting and vibrant contrast.
I had my CV tutorial today, I found this really helpful as I was shown how to make my CV my professional and also how to make it something that people reading it would find interesting, I was given a lot of adjustments to make which I have now completed, I am now really happy with my CV as it is a bit more punchy and to the point.
I wrote up my technical notes from the past 4 technical sessions, I am going to have to go back over all of these to make sure they make sense because at the moment they don’t. I also did some more fabric research, I still haven’t found my final fabric but I have a few more samples on the way that might hopefully be the one!!!!
I am getting a little bit stressed at the moment as I don’t have my final fabrics but I know that it will all work out in the end, I will keep ordering samples until I found the right one. I had chosen my fabrics but it was just a bit too expensive when I calculated how much I would need.
Today we had a presentation on CV’s, Cover letters, Portfolios and internships, I found this really helpful and made me think about things that I hadn’t thought of before, it made me really think about how I should lay out my CV and the correct way of producing a cover letter, something I have never done before.
Today I finished my shorts and worked on my jacket patterns, I am pleased that I got all this done.
Today we had a technical session learning how to pattern cut a revere collar, I have been wanting to learn how to do this for a few days now and I am very happy that I know how to and have also now finished my collar for my jacket. I began to experiment with the shape yesterday but I now know how to go about it in the correct technical way.
After the lecture today I came back to the studio where I worked on finishing off my collar as well as completing my sleeve patterns, I asked for a little bit of help with how to draft a mitered sleeve pattern, and now I have my completed patterns, I will cut them out in calico tonight and construct them tomorrow.
I also began construction of my new collar and lapel, I am really happy with how this has turned out.
Before my toile review I completed my mitered sleeve, and did a few adjustments to my collar. I will have to do a few adjustments to the sleeve head as it doesn’t lay correctly or fit within the arm hole properly, but I will work on this next week.
My toile review went really well today and it has helped me a lot in the way of which direction I should take my work next, I feel that there has been a great improvement this week into the silhouette and shape and it is all starting to work a lot better together.
There are a few technical problems at the moment with the back and the sleeves but I am really with the overall look, and I know that the adjustments aren’t hard they are just a bit of fine tuning what I have already done.
Hello, Eleanor here, I am currently at Norwich University of the Arts studying Fashion, please join me along my adventure.